(Download the Data Sheet)
The M.2 WWAN modem break-out board is a useful utility for evaluating any kind of cellular modem in the more and more popular M.2 form-factor, sometimes also referred-to as NGFF (next generation form factor).
M.2 form-factor modems are pretty commonly found for all cellular technologies, but particular with LTE-A and 5G modems. Contrary to their predecessor mPCIe, M.2 supports higher transmission speeds of USB 3.0 super-speed and/or PCIe 1x.
The main features of the board can be described as follows:
- on-board linear power regulator generating the 3.3V supply voltage for the mPCIe modem
- USB 2.0 high-speed and USB 3.0 super-speed signals exposed on USB 3.0 micro-B connector (microB-A cable included)
- PCIe lane exposed on non-standard USB-A-style connector; Extension Cable and adapter board to plug into a regular PCIe 1x slot included.
- Two 2FF (mini-SIM) slots for RUIM/CSIM/SIM/ USIM. Second slot only used by dual-SIM capable modems.
- all unused m.2 pins are exposed on a 2.54mm break-out header. This is useful for attaching to non-standard interfaces such as PCM audio busses of modems.
- PERST and W_DISABLE can be configured via jumper
- 3x on-board SMA sockets with MHF4 next to them; MHF4 to MHF4 pigtail cables included. This provides proper strain relief of any antenna connections to the modem.
- Power LED and Modem Status LED
As the M.2 modem break-out board adheres to the M.2 mechanical form factor and standardized pin-out, it should work with any WWAN modem, irrespective of the supplier.
Open Source Hardware
The M.2 WWAN modem break-out board was created as an OSHW (Open Source Hardware) design.
This means not only schematics are available, but also the full design files including PCB layout. Anyone may create derivative works under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike (CC-BY-SA) license.
For more information, see
Mechanical / Electrical specification
|Dimensions of PCB||90 x 80 mm|
|Mounting||M3 Mounting Holes for spacers/stands|
|SIM/UICC slots||2, ETSI/3GPP 2FF form factor|
|USB port||USB-micro-B (3.0)|
|Debug facilities||all unused M.2 signals exposed on 2.54mm pitch header|
|LED||1x Power (gren), 1x Modem Status (yellow)|
|Input Voltage||5 V DC (typ) on 5.5/2.5mm barrel type|